top of page

Spousal Sponsorship news

Updated: Aug 6, 2021

Canada always values Family Reunification and Canada Immigration tries hard to let Permanent Residents and Canadian Citizens sponsor their spouse or common-law partners. Not only, the opposite-sex partners can apply to sponsor their spouse or common-law partners, but also, same-sex couples can apply under this program. If you would like to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, you can contact us and we will help you!


In order to be able to sponsor your spouse/common-law partner of the same sex or the opposite sex, you need to be

- a Canadian citizen or,

- a Canadian permanent resident and

- You have to be over the age of 18.

- You should prove that you are not receiving social assistance

When are not you eligible to sponsor your spouse/partner?

- If you have already sponsored your spouse and it has been less than three years since your spouse became a Permanent Resident.

- If the person that you have sponsored already received social assistance, you need to pay it back in full before you can sponsor your spouse/partner.

- You have an ongoing sponsorship application for your parents and the decision has not been made on that application.

- You were sponsored to Canada as a spouse/common-law partner and you became a Permanent Resident less than 5 years ago.

Who can you sponsor?

You can sponsor your Spouse/Common-law partner of the same sex or the opposite sex.

What is a common-law relationship?

If you have been living with your partner for at least one year continuously and you have documents and evidence to prove this relationship, you are considered common-law partners.

Who is a conjugal partner?

A conjugal partner is a person living outside Canada and is in a genuine relationship with you but due to some political/religious barriers, they cannot live together.

Who is a dependent child?

You can also sponsor your dependent child, a child who is less than 22 years old and is unmarried. Also, if your child is financially dependent on you because of a physical disability, you can sponsor him/her.

Citizens and Permanent Residents difference in Spousal Sponsorship

If you are a Permanent Resident, you need to be in Canada to be able to sponsor your spouse/common-law partner. However, if you are a Canadian Citizen, you can sponsor your spouse/common-law partner while you are living outside Canada. You both must show that you have plans on coming to Canada and live together while your partner will be given the Permanent Residency.

Inland spousal sponsorship

If you and your partner are living in Canada, you can sponsor her/him from inside Canada. Inland sponsorship helps you and your partner to live together while your application is being processed and your partner may receive an Open Work Permit.

Outland spousal sponsorship

If your partner is living out of Canada, you can file an application to sponsor him/her from outside Canada. The sponsored person can travel in and out of Canada, but the application will be processed outside Canada.

How much income should I show?

There is no minimum income requirement for this kind of sponsorship. If your spouse/common-law partner has a dependent and that dependent has a dependent, in this situation there will be a minimum required income that you need to meet to be eligible to sponsor your partner/spouse.

What is undertaking?

When you sign the application to sponsor, you agree to sponsor your spouse/common-law partner and by doing this, you are responsible for this person for 3 years. It means during these 3 years, after the person gets his/her Permanent Residency, if the person receives any social assistance, you need to pay back.

Why choose us?

We have been doing sponsorship applications for years and we have a high success rate. Our clients from almost 20 different countries have experienced this with us and you can be the next successful one. We know how to prepare documents and how to make your sponsorship process smooth and easy for you. Contact us HERE to start the process today!

If you are not a Canadian Permanent Resident yet and you are not sure what the best way for you to immigrate to Canada is, please fill out our assessment form HERE and we will get back to you with your possible options.

40 views0 comments


bottom of page