top of page

Protected Persons and Permanent Residence

In this article, some frequent questions regarding Protected Persons who want to apply for permanent residence in Canada will be answered.

Who is considered a Protected Person?

If the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) of Canada determines that a person needs protection or if a convention refugee received a positive decision on their PRRA (pre-Removal Risk Assessment) from IRCC, that person is considered a Protected Person.

How do I know if I’m eligible to apply for PR (Permanent Residence) as a protected person?

If you are not a permanent resident or citizen of Canada or a convention refugee of another country where you could go and live without fear of persecution, you ARE eligible to apply for permanent residence.

When can I apply for Permanent Residence as a protected person?

There’s no deadline to apply for PR and it can be done anytime after being notified by IRB or IRCC that you are a protected person.

I have been named a Designated Foreign National (DFN), can I apply for permanent residence?

No. Designated Foreign Nationals need to wait at least 5 years to apply for permanent residence.

What documents do I need to gather to apply for Permanent Residence?

  • A photocopy of all identity and relationship documents

  • A translation for every identity and relationship document which is in a language other than English and French

  • Passport-size photos

  • A photocopy of a letter from IRCC or IRB showing that you have been determined as a Protected Person

There are also a couple of forms that must be filled out by the protected person and their dependent family members who wish to accompany them to Canada. Contact us if you need help to complete the forms.

Be advised that if any of the required documents are missing or the forms are incomplete, your application will be returned to you and this will delay the processing of your application.

What happens after I send my application?

You will receive a letter which informs you of the decision on your case. Also, your family members’ applications will be transferred to a Canadian visa office for processing.

Can I leave Canada while my PR application is being processed?

Yes. You should apply for a Refugee Travel Document from IRCC. You will need to provide proof of your status in Canada.

How long will the process take?

Due to the impact of COVID-19, an accurate processing time can not be given. But it can take up to 2 years or longer to become a Permanent Resident.

Once your application for PR is approved, your PR card will be sent to you.

Why should I hire SEP Immigration to apply for my PR as a Protected Person?

The application process can be stressful and time taking. Also, the forms and documents can be quite overwhelming. And that is why you need an expert to make the process straightforward and comfortable for you.

We, at SEP Immigration, have extensive experience in Refugee claims, hearings and appeals. We are regulated by the Canadian government and are well informed about the rules and requirements to follow when applying for any immigration program.

Simply click here to talk to one of our experts.

Why choose us?

We have been helping many applicants to become permanent residents for years and we have a high success rate. Our clients from almost 20 different countries have experienced this with us and you can be the next successful one. We know how to prepare documents and how to make your immigration process smooth and easy for you. Contact us HERE to start the process today!

If you are not a Canadian Permanent Resident yet and you are not sure what the best way for you to immigrate to Canada is, please fill out our assessment form HERE and we will get back to you with your possible options.

2,402 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page