top of page

Frequently Asked Questions About Permanent Resident Cards' Renewals

In this month’s article, we’ve decided to answer some of your frequent questions about PR card Renewals.

What is a Permanent Resident (PR) Card?

If you immigrate to Canada and are given permanent resident status, you will be considered a Permanent Resident of Canada and will be eligible to receive a PR card. To enter Canada’s border, your PR card will be needed as a valid travel document. A PR card is usually valid for 5 years and will be automatically mailed to you once you have arrived in Canada.

What should I do if my PR card is expired?

You can apply for a new one. You don’t need to wait until your card will expire to apply, if your PR card expires in less than 9 months, you can apply for a new one. If you are eligible for a PR card, you need to submit your application in Canada.

Contact us now to assess your eligibility.

How long will it take to renew/replace my PR card?

About 108 days. Keep in mind that the processing time is calculated based on how long it took IRCC to process most applications, in the past.

You can also apply for urgent processing if you need your PR card sooner.

Do I lose my PR status if my PR card expires?

No. If your permanent resident (PR) card expires, you still have your PR status and can stay in Canada. However, if you travel outside Canada, you’ll need a valid PR Card to return to Canada by a commercial vehicle.

What happens if my PR card expires when I’m outside Canada?

It depends on how you plan to return to Canada.

If you’re returning by plane, train, bus or boat or any other commercial vehicle, you’ll need a valid PR card.

If you’re returning by a private vehicle, such as a car, truck, motorcycle, there are other documents you can use to re-enter the country. These documents include:

  • Canadian passport

  • Canadian birth certificate

  • permanent residence card

  • citizenship card

  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card or valid Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card

How can I avoid delays or refusals in processing my permanent resident card application?

To avoid delays or a refusal, you must:

  • fill out and sign the application form(s) properly

  • include all the necessary documents

  • pay the application fee

if your card was lost, stolen, destroyed or never received, fill out Section H (Solemn Declaration).

Why should I hire SEP Immigration to renew my PR card?

To make sure your application is complete and flawless and to avoid delays or refusals, you need an expert to make the process straightforward and comfortable for you.

We, at SEP Immigration, have extensive experience in all immigration matters. We’ll help you to avoid wasting time and money on refused applications.

Why choose us?

We have been helping many applicants to become permanent residents for years and we have a high success rate. Our clients from almost 20 different countries have experienced this with us and you can be the next successful one. We know how to prepare documents and how to make your immigration process smooth and easy for you. Contact us HERE to start the process today!

If you are not a Canadian Permanent Resident yet and you are not sure what the best way for you to immigrate to Canada is, please fill out our assessment form HERE and we will get back to you with your possible options.

153 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page